When it is time to do your taxes, you can deduct mileage as an expense IF you have kept the appropriate records. Put the GPS tracking on your smartphone or tablet to good use with one of these apps designed to automatically track your mileage (just be aware that continuous use of the GPS-tracking function will drain your device’s battery power).
MileIQ for Android and iOS
• Automatically captures your starts and stops with your GPS-tracking-enabled device
• Remembers your drives
• Lets you categorize trips as business (swipe right on your device), personal (swipe left), or create a custom category
• Keeps a tally of how much you’ve racked up in business-related mileage expenses
• Allows for personalization by location, preference, vehicle, etc.
• Works with Freshbooks and Concur for generating reports
• Guarantees that “your drive history is secure and available when you need it,” that your data is “never sold or shared,” and that all versions of MileIQ are free of ads
• Free and paid plans
When you sign up through my MileIQ link for a free account, you’ll get 40 free drives every month. If you ever upgrade your account, you will automatically get 20% off your annual MileIQ subscription and I’ll be paid a small reward.
TripLog for Android and iOS
• Auto starts when your car moves at 5 or more miles per hour, your phone is connected to a car charger, your Bluetooth makes a connection, or it is during a pre-set time period
• Offers manual and GPS logging to track mileage and record locations
• Lets you categorize trips as business, charity, medical, or personal
• Tracks travel-related expenses like gas purchases, oil changes, and parking fees
• Calculates miles per gallon for your vehicle
• Uses cloud storage for photos of your receipts so this information can be accessed anywhere
• Provides reports in HTML and spreadsheet formats
• Free and paid plans for personal use or business
Mileage Expense Log exclusively for iOS
• Automatically tracks mileage when your iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch has GPS enabled (Pro version only)
• Sorts information by date, purpose, and/or vehicle
• Provides a very basic user interface
• Lets you keep track of travel-related expenses like tolls
• Allows you to store your data in the iCloud or in Dropbox
• Provides data/reports as CVS spreadsheets and as HTML files
• Free and paid (without ads) version
Here at Tate Design, we take privacy issues very seriously so the MileIQ guarantee—in addition to the app’s many easy-to-use features—makes this our top pick. Sign up for your free MileIQ account and start logging those miles for your expense report.
Contact Tate Design at 610.725.0702 or e-mail [email protected] for assistance in addressing privacy issues on your website or creating compelling copy like a guarantee that will attract your ideal customers.