Colors speak for you and your business without saying a word. That’s why it is crucial to understand what colors “say” and the role they play in company logos and brand awareness.
In a professionally designed logo, color will instantly be linked to your brand and elicit an emotional response in its viewers. These are the thoughts, feelings, and reactions often evoked by the following colors:
• Black—expensive/valuable, intelligent, serious, sophisticated
• Blue—cleanliness, competence, dependability, honesty, integrity, orderliness, reliability, security, trustworthiness
• Brown—durability, earthiness, naturalness, organic, rugged, simplicity
• Gray—neutral, timeless
• Green—balance, good luck, health, jealousy, knowledge, nature, peace, sustainability, wealth
• Orange—balance, energy, fun, heat/warmth, playfulness, vitality
• Pink—compassion, gentleness, love, romance
• Red—anger, attention-getting, danger, energy, excitement, heat, and passion
• Violet—arrogance, creativity, mystery, royalty
• White—clean, neutral, innocent, pure, orderly, soft, spacious
• Yellow—adventure, creativity, cowardice, happiness, hope, light, warmth, youthfulness
Color trends come and go. You want to choose colors that capture the essence of your product or service. Baby powder white is a better choice than blood red for something clean/pure. Due to its pretty and soothing nature, pastel pink has limited use for extremely masculine brands but is has proven effective for selling OTC medicines and feminine products.
Your logo colors should also add personality to your brand. Choose the correct color and your target audience will think “trustworthy” (blue), “creative” (violet), or “healthy” (green) without you having to be your own advocate. Your colors can also reinforce your tagline or slogan.
Have fun with this! Unless you are a franchise, you and your business are unique and you don’t have to look like everyone else. Use color to say “We are different from the competition” or “Never boring!”
Most logo designs consist of one to three colors. At Tate Design, we help you explore the possibilities. We take our knowledge of what colors work well together and what responses you can expect for each color and then we create colorful branded images that give you brand consistency.
Let’s work together to choose the best colors for your brand and the message you want to convey. Tate Design’s brand development and corporate identity services include logo design, name development, tagline creation, and a corporate identity program. Let color speak for you and your business. Get started with a call to Tate Design at 610.725.0702 or an e-mail to [email protected].